Submitting building or house plans

ANY new building and any alteration that adds on to or changes the structure of an existing building must be approved by the City in the form of plans or blue prints or as sometimes called House Plans.

Who has to submit building or house plans?
The short answer is everyone. Any new building and any alteration that adds on to or changes the structure of an existing building must go to the City’s (Planning) Development Management Department for House plan approval.

If you redecorate your kitchen, or re-plaster your house, you don’t need permission for changes to your house plans, because you haven’t moved any walls around or altered the drainage system of the house plan.

But if you make a change to the structure, for example, add on a carport, or even just move the front door, you do need permission and these changes have to be shown on a new house plan. When you submit a building plan for approval it is essential that you make sure that you have complied with the zoning regulations of the Town Planning Scheme.


House plansWhat if someone fails to submit house plans?
If you’ve chosen to build without having the house plans approved, a building inspector is entitled to enter your property and order construction to stop immediately. He could even obtain a court order for the structure to be demolished, at your expense, and you would be liable for legal costs as well. In serious cases, you could be fined or sent to prison.

What if no building inspector notices your illegal alterations?
They could come back to haunt you years later – when you try to sell the house and the prospective buyer asks to see approved house plans.

Where can I get an application form?
You can get application forms online (see box on right) or from the building plan submission counters on the ground floor of the Metro Centre, 158 Loveday Street, Braamfontein, between 8am and 3pm.

How do I submit the plan?
You submit the completed forms, together with the building plans and supporting documentation to the same counter on the ground floor of the Metro Centre, 158 Loveday Street, Braamfontein, between 8am and 3pm.

What does the council need from me before it considers my plan?
The council needs a completed application form, signed by the owner of the property or his/her authorised representative (proof of authorisation is required) together with a copy of the registered title deed.

The title deed can be obtained either from the attorneys who handled the transfer of the property, the financial institution that granted a first mortgage bond over the property, or the Deeds Office.

Where an application for approval is submitted by a company or an organisation such as a school or a church, a letter must be provided by the organisation authorising one person to sign the application form.

A copy of the approved Site Development Plan is also needed, if this is required in terms of the zoning regulations that apply to the stand.

A separate form also needs to be completed by a professional engineer or technologist registered with the Engineering Council of South Africa when structural work such as reinforced concrete floor and roof slabs, special reinforced foundations, and so forth are part of the proposed building.

Different certificates or designs need to be submitted depending on the technical aspects of the plan. You should consult an architect or engineer in this regard.

In the case of non-residential developments (for example, offices, factories, shops, institutional buildings and so on), a zoning certificate with a copy of the most recent Amendment Scheme is to be furnished.

How much does it cost to submit an application?
Fees are calculated by the building control counter staff when you submit an application. A standardised set of tariffs applies when calculating the fee payable. Fees can be paid at the adjacent cashier, either by cash or by cheque.

Tariff of charges: The National Building Regulations and Building Standards Act (No 103 of 1977)
To consider applications made in terms of Section 4 (1) of the National Building Regulations and Building Standards Act, the charges are as follows:
In terms of sections 17(3)(a)(ii) and 22 (a) (i) and (ii) of the Local Government : Municipal Finance  Management Act, 2003 (Act 56 of 2003) and Sections 21(1) and (3), 21A and 75A (3) and (4) of the Local Government : Municipal  Systems Act , 2000 (Act 32 of 2000) as amended, it is hereby notified that the City of Johannesburg has in terms of Sections 11(3)9i) and 75A(1) and (2) of the Local Government : Municipal  Systems Act, 2000 (Act 32 of 2000) as amended , read with section 24(2)(c)(ii) of the Local Government: Municipal Finance Management  Act, 2003 (Act 56 of 2003), amended its tariff of charges in respect of the following  with effect from 1 July 2010.

The following charges will be effective from 1 July 2010

1.    To consider applications made in terms of Section 4 (1) of the National Building  Regulations and Building Standards Act, 1977, the proposed charges are as follows:

1.1    R11 per square metre or part thereof of the first 1000m2 of building work.
1.2    R10 per square metre or part thereof of the second 1000m2 of building work .
1.3    R8 per square metre or part thereof for the balance greater than 2000m2 of building work.
1.4    0,30 percent of the value of building work for alterations to existing buildings and buildings of a special character such as factory chimneys, spires and similar structures.
1.5    A fee of R285 for a new dwelling house of 50m2 or less in area.
1.6    In the case of  mass-contracted low cost housing projects funded by means of national Housing capital subsidies , a fee of R161 per master plan  and R39 per ERF on which the master plan is repeated .
1.7    The  minimum wage in respect of any building plan, other than contemplated in 1.5 and 1.6 shall be R453.
1.8    Portion of buildings projection over council owned land:
(a)    Areas of  10m2 and less R448
(b)    Areas in excess of  10m2, R447 plus R10m2 or part thereof
The above charges are in addition to normal plan submission fees
2.    To  authorise minor building work in terms of Section 13 of the National  Building Regulations and Building Standards Act 1977, a charge of R199
3.    To authorise the erection of a temporary building in terms of regulations  A23(1) a fee of 199
4.    To permit the use of a street by a person undertaking any work of erection or demolition in terms of regulation F1(4) ,a fee of R10 per m2 for every week or part  thereof with a minimum fee of R199.

What do I require before calling to enquire about my building plan application?
Always have the erf number and township description at hand when making enquiries.

Has a building plan been submitted to the council?
011 407 6217
011 407 6058

What is the status of a building plan application in the system?
011 407 6217
011 407 6061

What should I do once my building plan has been approved?
Download approval notice

I need copies of existing approved building plans

National Building Regulations (NBR) – building plan administration

This unit is responsible for the registration, circulation and archiving of building plan application
Contact person:
Manager: building plan administration
Sanjay Khadua
Tel: 011 407 6106
Fax: 011 403 2492

National Building Regulations (NBR) – building inspectorate

This unit is responsible for the inspection of building work in progress. It takes into account the three statutory inspections that are prescribed in terms of the National Building Regulations and Building Standards Act.

The majority of the building inspectors are based in regional offices to be closer to the sites that are to be inspected.

Contact persons:
Contact details given below are therefore those of the chief building inspectors in the various regions.

Region A
Midrand, Ivory Park, Halfway Gardens, Erand, Diepsloot, Dainfern, Buccleucch  Lanseria, far northern areas.
Chief Building Inspector
Pierre le Roux
Tel: 011 237 8046
Cell: 082 559 3700
Fax: 011 314 1462

Region B
Randburg, Florida Hills, Claremont, Northcliff, Fairland and Johannesburg north western suburbs.
Chief Building Inspector
Paul Cilliers
Tel: 011 761 0472
Cell: 082 491 6014
Fax: 011 472 3483

Region C
Roodepoort, Honeydew, Boksruin, Allensnek and Zandspruit.
Chief Building Inspector
Billy Posthumus
Tel: 011 761 0312
Cell: 082 559 3701
Fax: 011 472 2544

Cosmo City
Chief building inspector
Joseph Mhlanga
011 761 0313
082  559 3731

Region D
Soweto, Zola, Protea, Orlando West, Naledi , Jabulani and Dobsonville.
Chief Building Inspector
James More
Tel: 011 986 0046
Cell: 082 559 3732
Fax: 011 986 0046

Eldorado Park, Diepkloof, Devland, Kliptown, Meadowlands, Naturena, Orlando East and Power Park.
Chief Building Inspector
Abey Khanye
Tel: 011 342 1264
Cell: 082 559 3729
Fax: 011 342 1264

Region  E
Sandton, Rosebank, Atholl, Birnam, Bryanston, Craighall, Melrose, Morningside and Orange Grove and north eastern suburbs.  
Chief Building Inspector
Albert van der Walt
Tel: 011 582 1572
Cell: 082 559 3730
Fax: 011 582  1633

Alexandra, Allandale, Linbro park, Marlboro gardens, Linksfield, Lonehill, Halfway House, Modderfontein and eastern suburbs.
Acting Chief building inspector
Kgadi Sebiko
Tel: 011  582 1579
Cell: 083  450 2916
Fax: 011  582 1633

Region F
Johannesburg inner City, Yeoville, Braamfontein, Berea, Bertrams , Crown Mines, Fordsburg, Park Town, Kensington, Observatory and Troyeville.
Chief building inspector
Richard Hadebe
Tel: 011 376 8659
Cell: 082 559 3734
Fax: 011 376 8673

Chris Baragwanath , Cleveland, City Deep, Ormonde, Glen Vista, Kibler Park, Malvern, Oakdene, Rossentivile , Turffontein, Winchester Hill and Bassonia.
Chief Building Inspector
Collin Oates
011 376 8660;
082 559 3705

Region G
Ennerdale, Lenasia, Driziek, Finetown, Lauley, Nancefield, Orange Farm and Zakariyya Park
Chief building inspector.
Sydney Shai
Tel: 011 211 8914
Cell: 083 262 1920
Fax: 011 211 8908

Outdoor advertising

This unit is responsible for the assessment and approval of applications for outdoor advertising signage, as well as the assessment and approval of applications for the erection of cellphone masts.

Contact persons:

Manager: outdoor advertising
Tel: 011 407 6033
Cell: 082 557 6762
Fax: 011 339 1244

Operations manager: Sonja Pretorius
Tel: 011 407 6360
Cell: 082 773 765

Where’s my building plan application?
Keep track of your building plans online.
Click here

Building plans application forms
Download the three forms below for building applications. Print them out and fill them in, then submit them to the Development Planning Department counter on the ground floor of the Metro Centre in Braamfontein.

The forms, in Adobe Acrobat format, are:

If you are looking for more information about House plans why not follow some good links.

If you have any questions relating to House plans then please don’t hesitates to contact us to see how we can assist you.